Two Michelin Starred Chef Andre Chiang and Award-Winning Mixologist Vijay Mudaliar Invited to Margaret River Gourmet Escape As it Celebrates 50 years of Wine In WA’s Extraordinary South West Region, Over Four Days This November
Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi will return this November with an extra day added to the program, to celebrate the famed wine region’s 50th anniversary, and showcase an appetising line-up of new events and talent, including home-grown culinary royalty, Curtis Stone. Taking place across 16-19 November, the four-day food, produce and wine extravaganza will put the unparalleled bounties of Margaret River front and centre, with a record number of events taking place among the extraordinary beauty of Australia’s south west.
Tickets will go on sale at 12pm AWST on Friday 28 July.
Paying homage to the region’s 50th anniversary of commercial wine production, world renowned wine critic, Jancis Robinson, OBE, MW (UK) will be in attendance at many events across the weekend, and the festival will exhibit a selection of key wine events including the Cape Mentelle International Cabernet Tasting and Long Lunch; the Cullen
Wines 32nd International Chardonnay Tasting; plus fringe events including the ‘50 Years in the Making’ Tasting at Vasse Felix and the Leeuwin Art Series Dinner. Jancis will be joined by some of Australia’s most respected wine personalities and journalists including James Halliday, Huon Hooke and Nick Stock.
Curtis Stone (of acclaimed Maude & Gwen Restaurants, Los Angeles) will join over 50 of the world’s leading food and wine personalities, including chefs from the World’s Best Restaurants*, Andre Chiang (#14 Restaurant André, Singapore), Alex Atala (D.O.M., Brasil), David Thompson (#28 Nahm, Thailand), Ashley Palmer-Watts (#36 Dinner by Heston, UK) and Rodolfo Guzman (#42 Borago, Chile). Together, they will all head to Margaret River and collaborate with the country’s best as they showcase the region’s exceptional food and wine.
Asia’s Best Female Chef, May Chow (Little Bao, Hong Kong) will join highly acclaimed chefs including Pierre Koffmann (UK), Danny Bowien (Mission Chinese, USA), Kyle Connaughton (SingleThread Farm, USA), and Kris Yenbamroong(NIGHT + MARKET, USA) who join the Gourmet Escape line up for the first time to collaborate on events showcasing premium local produce and stunning locations Margaret River is famous for.
This year will also see the addition of new and exciting events including Curtis Stone officially opening the festival at the additional Audi Gourmet Beach BBQ session on Thursday evening; The Great Soiree at Fraser Gallop Estate; The High
Life with Paul Iskov (a helicopter lunch); and the launch of the Official Closing Party at White Elephant Café.
Visitors can expect some extraordinary dining collaborations; Fermoy Estate will host a dinner featuring Clayton Wells with Mejakawi (Bali); and Alex Atala (Brazil) joins forces with Porteno (Sydney) at Larry Cherubino. The festival also welcomes new venues and wineries for the first time including the newly opened Amelia Park Winery Restaurant; and Arimia Estate – who will take part in the festival to showcase their wines.
The heartbeat of the festival, the Gourmet Village, will have a fresh feel for 2017 with the main stage hosted by multitalented comedian, actor/presenter and musician Matt Okine, plus music programming throughout the day including a secret closing act on Sunday evening. New attractions include The Lurpak Cookery School & a ‘Giniversity’ along with
returning favourites such as Wusthof Knife Skillery, Around the Barrel, Icon Tastings and Battle of the Breweries.
Also making its debut in 2017, The World’s Best Chef’s Table is an exclusive and very intimate, once in a lifetime restaurant experience nestled in the heart of the Gourmet Village. Guests can pull up a stool and savour a glass of the region’s best wine alongside some of the world’s most coveted chefs from the top 50 list as they create a dish showcasing incredible WA produce. Once the masterpiece is complete, the lucky group will enjoy the meal alongside their culinary idols. Tickets are strictly limited and expected to sell out quickly.
Dates: 16-19 November 2017
Tickets available through Ticketek from 12pm 28 July (AWST) –
2017 Festival Line Up
• Curtis Stone (Maude & Gwen, USA)
• Jancis Robinson OBE (Master of Wine, UK)
• Rick Stein (Chef & Restaurateur, UK)
• Pierre Koffmann (Chef & Restaurateur, UK)
• Andre Chiang (Restaurant Andre, Singapore) *No. 14
• Alex Atala (D.O.M, Brazil) *No. 16
• David Thompson (Nahm, Thailand) *No. 28
• Ashley Palmer-Watts (Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, UK) *No. 36
• Rodolfo Guzman (Borago, Chile) *No. 42
• May Chow (Little Bao, Hong Kong) *Asia’s Best Female Chef
• Benjamin Cross (Mejekawi, Bali)
• Carlo Cracco (Ristorante Cracco, Italy)
• Danny Bowien (Mission Chinese Food, USA)
• Kris Yenbamroong (NIGHT + MARKET, USA)
• Kyle Connaughton (Single Thread Farms, USA)
• Michael Hunter (Antler Kitchen & Bar, Canada)
• Roger Mooking (Man, Fire, Food, Canada)
• Vijay Mudaliar (Native, Singapore)
• Luke Nguyen (Red Lantern, Sydney)
• Andrew McConnell (Cutler & Co., Melbourne)
• Guillaume Brahimi (Bistro Guillaume, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth)
• Shane Delia (Maha Restaurant, Melbourne)
• Peter Kuruvita (Noosa Beach House, Noosa)
• James Halliday, AM (Wine writer, critic and winemaker, VIC)
• Aaron Carr (Snake and Herring, Margaret River)
• Ben Milgate (Porteno, Sydney)
• Blair Allen (Amelia Park, Margaret River)
• Brendan Pratt (Vasse Felix, Margaret River)
• Clayton Wells (Automata, Sydney, Blackwattle, Singapore)
• Dan Gedge (Watershed Premium Wines, Margaret River)
• Dan Hong (Mr. Wong and Ms G’s, Sydney)
• Daniel Fisher (KU Dining, Perth)
• Dany Angove (Leeuwin Estate, Margaret River)
• Duncan Welgemoed (Africola, Adelaide)
• Elvis Abrahanowicz (Porteno, Sydney)
• Evan Hayter (Arimia, Margaret River)
• George Cooper (Food by the Chef, Margaret River)
• Heath Townsend (Wise Vineyards Restaurant, Margaret River)
• Huon Hooke (Writer)
• Iain Robertson (Cullen Wines, Margaret River)
• Jo Barrett (Oakridge Wines, Yarra Valley)
• Josh Niland (Saint Peter, Sydney)
• Josh Whiteland (Koomal Dreaming, Margaret River)
• Matt Okine (Comedian, actor/presenter and musician)
• Matt Stone (Oakridge Wines, Yarra Valley)
• Morgan McGlone (Belle’s Hot Chicken, Melbourne and Sydney)
• Nick Stock (Wine Writer)
• Paul Carmichael (Momofuku Seiobo, Sydney)
• Paul Iskov (Fervor, Margaret River)
• Russell Blaikie (Must Wine Bar, Perth)
• Sam Ward (Mas, Perth)
• Rhys Passmore (The Goose, Margaret River)
• Santiago Fernandez (Voyager Estate, Margaret River)
• Scott Bridger (Bib & Tucker, Perth)
• Seth James (Wills Domain, Margaret River)
• Tim Whitty (Kitchen Takeovers, Margaret River)
* Ranking in World’s Best Restaurants – http://www.theworlds50best.com/
About Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi
Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi is a unique opportunity to discover wondrous produce, taste world renowned wines and meet internationally celebrated chefs, food producers and winemakers amongst the extraordinary natural beauty of the Margaret River region. Since its inception in 2012, the festival has already welcomed over 160 of the world’s most influential chefs, food and wine influencers to the region and over 60,000 passionate food and wine loving visitors. 2017 will see over 60 culinary superstars host 50 epic events in 25 extraordinary locations in the Margaret River
About Margaret River
Margaret River is ranked among the world’s most famous and prestigious wine regions, home to 217 vineyards and 187 wineries. 2017 is an important year for the region, marking 50 years since commercial wine production commenced.
Located a leisurely three- hour drive south of Perth, this extraordinary destination has gained a fan club of culinary influencers who’ve fallen in love with the region’s unique offering. Boasting arguably the best beaches in the world, coastal ‘cape to cape’ walking tracks, ancient caves, tall tree forests, cultural experiences, world-renowned surfing breaks and spectacular wine and dining experiences – Margaret River is a destination you need to experience for yourself to understand its magic.