The second generation of the compact success model made its public debut at the Singapore Motorshow 2020. Its dynamic design characterizes the new Audi A1 Sportback. It is the ideal companion in the urban environment and is also very well-suited for longer journeys. With its full-size-worthy infotainment and driver assistance systems, the A1 Sportback is firmly networked with the digital world.
Exterior design: Striking, masculine with genes of the sporty Ur-quattro
Dynamic design characterizes the new Audi A1 Sportback. It has grown significantly in length, at the same time, the width has remained almost the same. The wide track and short overhangs provide for a taut, sporty look. The wide, low-placed Singleframe grille and the implied side air inlets dominate the distinctive front. Below the edge of the hood are three flat slits – an homage to the Sport quattro, the brand’s rally icon from 1984.
The new A1 Sportback also emphasizes a resemblance to the Audi Ur-quattro and Sport quattro when viewed from the side: The wide, flat sloping C-pillar seems to push the car forward even while standing still. The roof contrast line, which is available in two dark colors, ends above the C-pillar. This gives the impression that the roof is flatter and the complete car is even lower-slung. All lines on the flanks, from the window edge to the sill, slope upward toward the rear in a wedge shape.
The Audi A1 Sportback advanced 1.0 TFSI S tronic has a Inline 3-cylinder 1 litre engine. Max. power output 116 hp / at 5000-5500 rpm. Max. torque 200 Nm / at 2000-3500 rpm. The A1 is a fun car to drive, in a similar vein to the closely related Polo. Its steering is well judged: light around town, but with enough weight thrown in at higher speeds. Those virtues are backed up by enough accuracy to let you place the car’s nose exactly where you want on a meandering road. If the bends tighten and you maintain a spirited pace, you’ll find a slight tendency for the car to lean in corners, but it’s comparatively minor and there’s plenty of grip on offer.
Fully connected and always up-to-date
The new Audi A1 Sportback is fit for the digital future. The Audi virtual cockpit with an extended range of functions comes standard for Singapore.
The Infotainment concept in the new A1 Sportback comes from the full-size class. The MMI radio comes as standard – it can be operated via the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel and the display in the fully digital instrument cluster. As with a smartphone, all commands are via touch input. The latest generation of voice control further improves the dialog between driver and car.
The Audi smartphone interface ensures you are always well connected on board the new A1 Sportback. It integrates iOS and Android smartphones using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into an environment in the MMI programmed specifically for them, and offers two USB interfaces.
Extremely spacious boot for a vehicle of this size. 335 l of luggage capacity, 65 l more than the previous model
The second-generation A1 offers some solid improvements over the outgoing car, especially in terms of space and technology. The range of personalisation options can make it a very stylish choice. It’s definitely a case of less is more with the A1. The powerful three-cylinder will be our pick for vehicle in this class. The brand-new Audi A1 Sportback 1.0 TFSI advanced has a recommended retail price of $131,055 including COE and VES.
Facts and figures
The Audi A1 Sportback
Exterior design and body
- Distinctive, masculine design
- Sporty front with a wide, flat Singleframe
- Reminiscent of the Sport quattro: Hood with three flat slits
- Wide, flat C-pillar
- Optional full LED headlights with daytime running light in the style of dynamic hydrofoils
- Two-part rear lights, optionally in LED technology and a dynamic flashing light
- Individualization: Ten exterior colors and two contrast colors for the roof and attachments
- Equipment lines basic, advanced and S line flexibly combinable with interior lines
- 03 m long, 2.56 m wheelbase, 1.74 m wide, 1.41 m tall
- Weight: 1,165 kilograms (with driver)
Interior and controls
- Radically new interior design with black-panel look
- Driver-oriented cockpit
- Fully digital instrument cluster—10.25 inches—standard
- Audi virtual cockpit is optional
- Interiors “advanced,” “design selection” and “S line” offer numerous opportunities in terms of colors and materials
- LED light package: Contour and ambient light with 30 selectable colors
- Much more spacious for driver, front-seat passenger and rear passengers
- 335 l of luggage capacity, 65 l more than the previous model
Infotainment and Audi connect
- Infotainment concept from the full-size class
- MMI navigation plus with 10.1 inch MMI touchscreen
- Natural-language control system for more convenience
- Wide-ranging online services from Audi connect
- Audi smartphone interface for integrating Apple and Android smartphones into the Audi MMI system
- Audi phone box for improved reception quality and inductive charging
- High-end option: Bang & Olufsen premium sound system with innovative 3D sound, 11 loudspeakers and 560 watts of power
- Agile handling and sporty, poised driving sensation
- Three suspensions: Basic suspension, tauter sporty suspension and sporty suspension with adjustable dampers (in conjunction with the dynamic package)
- Electromechanical power steering
- Dynamic handling system Audi drive select
- Varied wheel range 15 to 18 inches (16 inches are standard for Singapore)