Photo: Martin Girard / shootstudio.ca Costumes: Philippe Guillotel © 2014 Cirque du Soleil
Due to overwhelming demand, Cirque du Soleil announces today the extension of performances in Singapore of its most acclaimed touring show to date, KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™. New performances from 24 July through 4 August go on sale today. Tickets are available via Sistic, cirquedusoleil.com/kurios, or over the phone at +65 6348 5555.
KURIOS will premiere under a brand-new white-and-grey Big Top from 5 July 2019 on Bayfront Avenue, next to Marina Bay Sands and is presented by M1. Written and directed by Michel Laprise, KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities is a tale in which time comes to a complete stop, transporting the audience inside a fantasy world where everything is possible. In this realm set in the latter half of the nineteenth century, reality is quite relative indeed as our perception of it is utterly transformed.
Since its debut, critics across North America and Japan have been raving about KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities. In an alternate yet familiar past, in a place where wonders abound for those who trust their imagination, a scientist (“The Seeker”) is convinced that there exists a hidden world – a place where the craziest ideas and the grandest dreams await. Out of his curio cabinet steps an international cast of 47 artists from 17 countries, a collection of otherworldly characters made up of world-class gymnasts, acrobats, contortionists, hand-puppeteers, yo-yo wizards, clowns, actors and musicians. Together they turn the Seeker’s steampunk world upside-down as they are guided by an energetic gypsy jazz, electro swing soundtrack.
“KURIOS is the most enthralling, consistently over-the-top magical show
Cirque du Soleil has sent our way in a long time.”
San Francisco Chronicle
Some Curious Facts about KURIOS….
- To make the Accordion Man’s attire, the costume-maker spent an entire week sewing inside the costume
- Rima Hadchiti, the artist who plays Mini Lili is 3.3 feet tall and weighs 41 pounds. She is one of the 10 smallest people in the world
- The mechanical hand weighs 750 pounds and measures 15 feet by 6.8 feet
- More than a hundred costumes were created to dress the cast of KURIOS
- There are 426 props in the show, the most of any production in Cirque du Soleil’s history
- The 122 tour members come from 18 23 different countries. Some have been touring with Cirque du Soleil for more than 15 years
- This is the first time that Cirque du Soleil presents a welcoming act on top of the big top before the show starts. When weather permits, 3 artists climb up the big top and greet the guests from above while playing music and acting. Guests get a taste of the KURIOS experience as soon as they enter the site
- It took the team of props makers approximately 250 hours to build Mr. Microcosmos’ round belly
- All performers are responsible for applying their own make-up every show, which can take them between 40 minutes and two hours
M1 Limited (M1), who first introduced Singaporeans to the captivating and fascinating world of Cirque du Soleil is celebrating their 20-year partnership with the Canadian phenomenon, and presenting another entertainment spectacular. KURIOS will be Cirque du Soleil’s sixth production under the Big Top to be staged in Singapore with M1 as the presenting sponsor, after Saltimbanco in 2000, Alegria in 2002, Quidam in 2005, Totem in 2015 and Kooza in 2017.
“Astonishing. Kurios inspires wonder, awe, excitement and suspense.”
The Los Angeles Times made it a Critic’s Choice
Michel Laprise, Director, KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities
Michel Laprise worked in theatre for nine years as an actor, director and artistic director before joining Cirque du Soleil in 2000. At Cirque du Soleil, Michel spent five years as a talent scout before taking on, in 2006, the role of Special Events Designer. In that capacity, he directed the large-scale performance event created for the launch of the Fiat Bravo in Italy (2007); the Cirque du Soleil performance event celebrating Quebec City’s 400th anniversary (2008); the opening show at the Eurovision Song Contest held in Russia (2009); the launch of Microsoft’s Kinect console at the 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo; and the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 FIBA International Basketball Federation World Championships in Istanbul. In 2012, Michel collaborated with pop star Madonna, providing artistic direction for her performance at the Super Bowl XLVI halftime show; he later went on to direct her MDNA tour. Michel co-wrote and directed the VR movie “Kurios: Inside the Box” which won the Daytime Emmy® Award in the Outstanding Interactive Media category.
“It is not to be missed on any account”
The Chicago Tribune
TICKETING AND SHOW INFORMATION
CALENDAR EDITORS NOTE:
KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities by Cirque du Soleil
Season: From 5 July – 4 August 2019
Venue: Under the grey and white Big Top on Bayfront Avenue beside Marina Bay Sands
Tuesday – Friday: 8:00pm
Saturday: 4:30pm and 8:00pm
Sunday: 1:30pm and 5.00pm
* Excludes the booking fee of SGD$4 per ticket
IN PERSON AT: KURIOS Box Office on site at the Big Top on Bayfront Avenue, beside Marina Bay Sands.
MAKE THE NIGHT A VIP EXPERIENCE
The ultimate Cirque du Soleil experience with the best seats and access to the intimate VIP suite one hour before the show and at intermission, including delectable wines and hors d’oeuvres and take-home souvenirs.
VIP EXPERIENCE TICKET PRICE:
* Excludes the booking fee of SGD$4 per ticket
VIP Experience Corporate and Group Bookings are available via Sliding Doors Entertainment.
Email: email@example.com or call +65 6734 5573
Sign up at cirquedusoleil.com/cirqueclub for complimentary membership to the Cirque Club. Members receive advance access to the best seats under the Big Top, deals and discounts for tickets, promotions with our partners and a chance to experience never-before seen exclusive Cirque du Soleil content.
Cirque du Soleil gratefully acknowledges M1 as the presenting sponsor of KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities Singapore tour.